Choosing the right site for a build in New Zealand can be a complex decision, but here are some simple steps that can help you make the right choice:
- Determine your budget: Before looking for sites, determine the total budget for the property build, including the site and your house design. This will help you narrow your search down to affordable locations (and designs). You can check pricing for your build by submitting your desired location and house design here: you’ll get pricing sent directly to you, including delivery to your region.
- Location, location, location: Consider the location of the site. How close do you need to be to amenities, such as schools, shops, and public transport? You may also want to consider proximity to the city or town centre.
- Research the zoning: Check the zoning of the area where you are considering building. This will determine what type of property can be built on the site and any restrictions or requirements that must be met.
- Check site covenants: you may need to speak to a developer to put a transportable house on the land.
- Check susceptibility to hazards; such as flooding, erosion, earthquakes
- Check availability of services: power, gas, phone, internet, water supply, wastewater treatment, and rubbish disposal
- Positioning: consider where you see your house going on the site. From views to the rooms you want the sun to light up, areas of shade, where the deck would go
- Assess privacy: consider the distance from the road and any traffic noise
- Ask if any work has already been done by previous owners, to avoid costly problems later.
- Request all reports available from the real estate agent: collate LIM, Geotech reports, and survey reports if available. These will help provide the most accurate costs for your build.
These are some of the critical factors to consider when choosing a site for a property build in New Zealand. Make sure to take your time, do your research, and consult with professionals to make the right decision.
You can check our checklist here if you are ready to start planning to build your site.